Friday 10 January 2014

Beyonce

Let me start this post by making it abundantly clear that I am a Beyonce fan. I was one of the thousands of fans that bought her latest album the day it came out on iTunes. I have replayed every song and am in awe of her amazing talent and impressed by her innovation.

However the more I listen to the album and watch the videos the more I realise in horror how explicit Beyonce's content has become. Forget "To the left...to the left".. Yonce has graduated her lyrics from playful innuendos to what I consider explicit sexual suggestions ("let me sit this a*s on you..show you how I feel..let me take this off..") reminiscent of a rap album. We all slammed Miley for twerking but why is there no one saying anything about Bey's lyrics some of which I am not even comfortable writing on this blog. Okay so some people raised issue with "Bow down Bi*tches" which I must admit I found less offensive- I think it may have been a tad misinterpreted. Some of the songs like "Rocket" from the new album make me blush especially at the thought of a 9 year old singing along.

The question is should it be Bey's problem that your 9 year old is "rocking" to "Rocket"? Is it not the parent/ guardian's job to ensure their child is not exposed to unsuitable content? My biggest issue is that when Miley does it there are open letters written, why the double standard? Some songs on the Album like "Pretty Hurts" are pretty tame but the general tone is that of sex and the videos support that tone. More than a million copies of the Beyonce album have been sold to date which begs the question does music have to be sexual to sell?    
What are your thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. All your comments are welcome and appreciated. Leave a link to your blog or website and I'll be sure to visit.
Laters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...