Wednesday 26 October 2011

THE HAIR ISSUE


A discussion amongst friends on facebook got me thinking about the hair issue, and with some doubt I decided to blog about it. I know a black girl’s hair is not open to any kind probing, unless the discussion revolves around how great the hair looks and how one can get one’s hands on it. 

The facebook discussion was not focused on hair alone, it interrogated the “beauty” standards women and men put on African women. Weave your hair; lengthen your lashes so you will be beautiful. Is this our definition of African beauty, was the main contention. This reminded me of a recent article on British Vogue tackling a similar debate. The article titled “I AM NOT MY HAIR” tackled the controversial; do I weave because I’m trying to be white question. The hair issue at hand seemed to be the question of whether as Africans we see our beauty as somehow associated and intertwined with our hair?  The other underlying motion is whether I am less African when I weave or straighten my hair? 

The wigging and weaving of hair is a practise as old as time. The ancient Egyptians wore wigs to shield their shaved, hairless heads from the sun. Black Supermodels like Naomi Campbell wore wigs and later weaves to protect their hair from the constant styling that was abrasive to their afros. Many women weave for convenience; but we cannot deny that there is usually an intended consequence of beauty when one “gets one’s hair done”. We also must admit that there are Africans who believe the closer to western you are is the closer you are to beauty. These poor souls are lost. One woman braids her hair; the other weaves, then shaves all her hair off and at some point dreadlocks it.  If the woman’s beauty that glistens on the outside reflects her inward state then who cares what hair she has on? *Being black is not a matter of pigmentation - being black is a reflection of a mental attitude.

 
*Steve Biko- I write what I like

6 comments:

  1. Hey Silly Girl,

    Very good points your raising : "I am not my hair"
    One of the most important points that I took from the discussions that I had with my friend were :
    "There is too much pressure on black women to fit into a certain mould.You rock a weave, your artificial, you keep it natural your trying to be too conscious"

    " We should get the point that black sisters beauty comes in different shades, size and styles"

    Regards : B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment B. This is a conversation we must keep going with ourselves and with each other so that our kids do not inherit these negative traits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Silly Girl

    Good points you have there

    Shame to the poor souls-"Africans who believe the closer to western you are is the closer you are to beauty"

    i believe that as a women it does not realy matter how you embrace your beauty jus along as you personally feel and look beautiful


    kind regards
    AC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    Somehow tired fake her ain't a plan, rather have your natural hair simple and clean. Black ladies look stunning with less busy add ons. Just need more confidence.

    Bn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bn. Different strokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. All your comments are welcome and appreciated. Leave a link to your blog or website and I'll be sure to visit.
Laters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...