Tuesday 1 November 2011

'THE HELP'


The movie I saw recently, 'The Help' was recommended by a friend and I loved every second of the 2 hours and 26 minutes. It is based on a novel by Kathryn Stockett also called The Help. 
Set in Civil Rights era America in the early 1960s; the film is about a young white woman, Eugenia Phelan ‘Skeeter’, and her relationship with two black maids portrayed by Viola Davis and Octavio Spencer. 
Without revealing too much  Skeeter is a journalist who decides to write a controversial book from the point of view of the maids (known as the Help), exposing the racism they are faced with as they work for white families. 
The story line and the acting alike are just heavenly; the perfect casting and the on point costume design both bring authenticity to the story, undoubtedly worthy of every tear I shed.
This should not be seen as a depreciation of the intended message of this civil rights movie; but my favourite part of the movie is the glorious 60’s fashion, however the incandescent portrayal of “Aibileen” by Viola Davis comes a very close second. The costume designer did an amazing job staying true to the “Mad Men” era. 
The ladies outfits are hyper-feminine, the dresses are in bright colours I just love; they are full skirted and nipped at the waist. 
I salivated as I imagined myself in a bold floral print clinched at the waist, accentuating my womanly treasures in a modest and classy way.
These dresses ooze elegance and a covert sexiness that leaves the right amount to the imagination. 


The women of the 60s were strong and brave; they were part of the civil rights movement,  they formed the Sharpeville resistance against pass laws, all while making sure one has the perfect dress on.   
They paved the way for me, so I may fully realise myself. I take from this movie the incredible strength and the personal style that every woman should exude.
If it were not for the big hair, the bad shoes and the unspeakable atrocities of racism; I would have loved to have been alive in the 60’s.


4 comments:

  1. I completely relate to the idea of being around in the 60's when there was so much purpose. Loving the blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the pics in this blog. I will have to watch this movie, i love their dresses too. I hope I will not be soo emotional from the racism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a bit emotional babes. But its a reminder to be appreciative of what we have and where we are; and to be grateful of the sacrifices made by those who were here before us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. All your comments are welcome and appreciated. Leave a link to your blog or website and I'll be sure to visit.
Laters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...