Tuesday 30 October 2012

ARE LOCAL DESIGNERS TOO GOOD FOR US?

Many of us really want to support the local fashion industry; not as a favor to local designers but because we simply love the clothes. The fact that we are boosting local businesses in the process is a bonus. 

The problem is we have no idea where to buy locally designed clothes.

There is 36 boutiques, which is one of the very few online stores that offer a limited range of some great local designers; its convenient, the website is simple to use, its safe and I can buy a dress at 23:00. 

Parkhurst in JHB  is the other place where you can find cute boutique stores that carry local designs.
I really don't know any other places in JHB that offer a wide range of local designers under one roof.

I feel like there is a missing link between the consumer and the designers. 

Fashion is a business like any other; the number of units sold multiplied by the price per unit gives you your turnover. Therefore to increase your turnover you need to increase the number of units sold.  You can increase the price, but only to a certain point as consumers will only buy a product at a certain price range..My point is if designers need to sell products to customers to make money why then is there such a gap between the two parties...

Are designers already selling enough?

Which stores carry local designers? And why don't designers have websites with their latest lines and more importantly where to find their latest lines? I'm not talking about a long list of stockist that at most times don't event have the latest merchandise..I am talking about a real time link with accurate information of where to buy a particular piece.
This may not apply to all designers but certainly applies to many..

Let me give at least three examples:
1. Faeeza Khan's fab shweshwe print skirts were featured on Elle magazine some months ago; I called around, googled, came up empty handed..I did however find her fabulous blog during the search(:

2. Again some months ago, I went to a fashion show courtesy of Elle magazine; there were some lovely Christopher Strong dresses I had to have..Looked around, went to Parkhurst, called the company; All I got was sorry we are based in Cape town..*sigh*

3. More recently I saw a wonderfully floral Thula Sindi dress to die for on Grazia magazine; I called the stockist's number.. and it just rang unanswered..I really love this dress so I tweeted the designer himself..

You know that feeling..like you are the only one who wants the relationship? Are local designers too good for us?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah hey! even the upcoming designers aren't taking the opportuniy. its very sad.
    http://clothes-lovers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Axactly, we want to support them; but where ar they?

      Delete
  2. Dear Busi

    Thank you for your post. It's really good for our local fashion industry (both consumers and designers) to get feedback from consumers. A dialogue such as this will strengthen our fashion industry.

    Firstly, I'd like to respond to your problematic experience locating my shweshwe skirt. My apologies for this. For that particular shoot, in the Grazia magazine, a contact number for my label was provided in the stockist list at the back. Through this magazine feature, I received calls from consumers interested in my clothes and I was able to help them. One Grazia reader from Cape Town purchased a skirt which I couriered to her. If you google my label, the first link is my site, which has contact details and so is not a dead end.

    I do admit that my site isn't always up-to-date. This isn't because of disinterest in my consumers. Rather, it is because I am busy focusing on the production side of things. Mine is a new label, still in the process of establishing itself, so sometimes aspects of the business get neglected in favour of higher priority tasks. However, a current site is something I consider to be important and I will try to improve on that. It is definitely not because I sell enough and am too good for my consumers. This is the furthest from the truth.

    As for the industry in general, I can only comment on what I've observed.

    Most fashion designers in SA, even the flashy, celeb ones, are constantly struggling to run a profitable business. Competition amongst each other and the chain stores and imports makes it a very challenging industry to operate within. Many of my college peers have left the industry. So, we try to offer something local and unique and it is most pleasing to have people like you who appreciate our work. Therefore, we all want more volumes and greater proliferation.

    However, the manner in which designers market their labels varies. Some prefer to remain exclusive and somewhat hidden, choosing to reach consumers through indirect means such as word of mouth, rather than mass publicity. This is part of their brand identity and is their prerogative.

    I agree that our online presence has room for improvement. As consumers are becoming more web savvy and comfortable with online shopping, designers are starting to pay more attention to this area.

    Finally, sjoe, a good starting point to finding out about local designers, is the stockist list at the back of local fashion magazines. Also, by attending fashion weeks and visiting sites like ifashion.co.zq, you will have a good idea of who's doing what.

    For young designers that are just starting out, check out their sites and ask to be added to their mailing lists. We do not yet have the means to have our own stores, so please be patient.

    We need you for sure. Without you, we wouldn't have a fashion industry in SA. Thank you for speaking up. We want to have a good relationship with our consumers.

    Please tell us what you think we should do to bridge the gap.

    Faeeza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faeeza; Thank you for this comprehensive reply. I guess our frustration as consumers also stems from the fact that we don't really understand your business. I appreciate the challenges you face and am empathetic. You make a good point that some designer's strategy is to be exclusive and are not targeting the masses. I love local designers and I will keep supporting them.

      oOOPS Its was Grazia that features your skirts not Elle.

      XO

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. All your comments are welcome and appreciated. Leave a link to your blog or website and I'll be sure to visit.
Laters.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...